Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Getting fresh

Enough of the negativity - travelling is too much an amazing experience to dwell on the bad. What did I do to get fresh and rejuvenated? As an interactive reader exercise, here is a short multiple choice quiz on possible activities I embarked upon to clear my mind. Did Erin:

a) throw a tantrum?
b) curl up with a good book?
c) wander the town taking snaps?
d) sink into some retail therapy?
e) grab a cold beverage?

Now, a combination of D + E maketh for a happy Erin. At the Naber cafe, I was initiated into the world of frappes. As a backpacker, I'll never look back. Ordering the frappe over the iced coffee saves me scooping out the cream. Iced coffee minus cream is still divine but not easy to order in foreign countries.

At risk of boring patient readers, I headed to the Galeria shopping centre to grab a bite to eat and hit the shops. Vexing my heavy backpack, I weeded out some crap. Threw out my inappropriate (bum-gazing) jeans. Bought some hot denim shorts instead which will endure the angry sun better. Love em!


As a further justification for my naughty shopping ways I will add that at the hostel Oki Doki, we had a dieing disaster. They offer free washing service which we took advantage of. Our clothes were returned bearing a greyish hue. They'd mingled all the colours. Mum was happy - cream never flattered her anyway but two of my tops were ruined. Also, I just love looking at the gorgeous European fashions. So when I say casually that I did a spot of shopping you'll forgive me. Won't go into the purchases but they made me a happy lady. Ending another frivolous post, I'll save yesterday's day trip for later. Auschwitz was an overwhelming experience deserving a separate post.

3 comments:

Poodlerat said...

Glad you're having a good trip so far! I'm looking forward to your Auschwitz post; I remember what an incredible experience it was touring a slave castle when I was in Ghana a few years ago.

Speaking of that trip, I completely sympathize with your crappy hostel experience. We stayed in so many sketchy places while we were there.

Erin said...

Thanks poodlerat! I probably seem quite the whinger, I'm sure there are many hostels a lot more uncomfortable than lemon hostel. Wow Ghana would have been an amazing experience! Did you blog your trip?

Poodlerat said...

No. Well, kind of.

I was there in August 2002 on a school trip (although by coincidence my dad is actually Ghanaian, so I'd been there once before when I was very young to visit relatives.) We did write emails home which were put up on a website, but I don't think the site is still around.

I wouldn't say you were a whinger---but then, I'm probably a big one myself!