Thursday, July 12, 2007

About a boy


When I went to the gents

There was a skewered heart

And a legend of love. Let me

Sleep on your breast to the airport. (Heaney)


I love the way these lines from a poem by Seamus Heaney move from the everyday to the realm of the intimate. These lines follow the persona's ironic glance over a 'skewered heart' - a trite scrawling of possessive love on the toilet door. Instead the persona moves towards a moment of peace and privacy, as the lines allude to the possibility of a honeymoon after a surreal matrimonial experience. With today's poetry lecture ended, I too will wander into the private sphere as I share some exciting news.


As you all know, I'm a little expeditionist running around the world. Writing now from Frankfurt, Germany I'm crazy excited to be heading to Athens tomorrow. Greece will be wild.

Even wilder, the lovely Dave is joining me all the way from Perth! Yayness. Will be meeting him tomorrow at the hostel, as he hits Greece in the morning. Wooohoo! So apologies if I blog less frequently, but I'm likely having a blast on the islands and a short break in travel companionship with my mum. Go grease lightning - partying and summer fun!

2 comments:

Bybee said...

Hi Erin,
Everytime I read your blog, I feel like bursting into song: "Roam if you want to/Roam around the world..." That was funny, getting to practice your Greek in Germany.
Hope you have a great time in Greece!

Erin said...

Thanks Bybee, I am a little roamerette. You got that song stuck in our heads for days. Greece is uber exciting - wish I was posting more but I"m having too much fun!