Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lucking out in LA

Technically, the LA adventure was confined to the airport. It was a disappointment. Getting from Auckland to Germany involved two huge flights - thirteen hours to LA and then ten more onto Frankfurt. The first flight was wild owing to the in-flight entertainment. I amused myself with CSI, Simpsons and watched Notes on a Scandal. The guy sitting next to me fell asleep on my shoulder at one point, much to the discontent of my mum.

The stopover at LA was long, protracted and unenjoyable. Going through customs to collect baggage was an involved procedure. It took them about an hour to bring out the luggage! To unwind and fill up we headed to the airport food court. They had nothing remotely healthy. I ordered mexican and got a pile of sludge - refried beans, enchiladas, tacos and rice also served up in a mish-mash. Quantity over quality was the aim of the establishment.

Exorbitant internet costs came at 25 cents a minute - so a 20 min session was $5 US. Most scandalous were the public toilets. I was positioned on the facility and looked up to catch my mum's eye. She launched into eructations of laughter. In a design oversight they had left huge gaps in the toilet doors. Don't know why she was looking, but with such conditions you can't help it.

Exasperation was scintillating high. This partly accounts for mum's inability to work out what country or continent we were in - as I mentioned she turned to me and argued that we were already in Germany! I'm behind on blogging but will patch up the German gap soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.peoplefromallovertheworld.blogspot.com/

Bybee said...

The gaps in the toilet doors are quite common in the US. Even though Korea doesn't usually have toilet paper, soap or paper towels, they do have nice doors with no gaps.

I'm totally loving your blog!

Erin said...

Why, how exposed Bybee! The toilets in Korea sound crazy. thanks for visiting :0).