Friday, June 22, 2007

Intrepid Origins

Arawa Chieftaness by Charles Goldie



"Tell me a story" is a constant refrain I hear from my best mate Io. Naturally, the narrative quality of 'Adventures with Erin' appealed as the name for my travel blog. 'Grandmother-friendly' is how another friend described it. Unfortunately, my grandparents are technologically inept. I'll try to keep it tame though ;-)


Indulge me as I gallivant around the world, tracking my adventures on crazy foreign keyboards. Updates will be sporadic - depending on when inspiration hits and time permits. Hopefully, it will provide just a little cerebral exercise. Most importantly, I hope to post lots of pretty pics! May I add, I'm much aided in this blogging endeavour by the HOT parker pen and multiple journals/notebooks I received. Thanks guys!


So, the itinerary for the interested: few days in NZ (here now!), three months in Europe and then one month in Morocco. Then onto Asia - six weeks in India, and six weeks in Thailand and Vietnam. The duration is flexible with the round-the-world ticket - depends on my sanity levels as I travel with the crazy woman who gave birth to me.


Today, after heading to the hostel at 8am we offloaded my already cumbersome backpack. Sarah Brown, I don't care how great the shipping magnate I'm supposedly meeting in Greece is, I think I must concede that I don't need the halterneck. Must weed out stuff to save my back!


In search of coffee to take the lag out of the jet, we wandered into Starbucks. It was my first Starbucks experience, and an exciting one! Their awesomely frothy latte rocks my world.




My knowledge of Maori culture, ever limited, has been stimulated by the museum in Auckland. We spent the day perusing the weaponry, ornaments and cultural artefacts! Then onto the art gallery where I found the pic featured at the top. We caught a free bus in the city and I laughed with amusement as this burly Maori man tried to encircle mum's shoulder with his arm. Many homeless people sleep on the circular public transport route to avoid the cold.


Anyway, I should probably go eat, sleep and sight-see. First, I must find the hostel. It's so dark outside!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you already cute Erin
and it is only day 1 of your trip!
:O)
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh my little blossom! Love the author photo--architectural hair suits you.

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is as sheltered as I am. The first place I stopped on my first trip to the eastern states of Australia was Starbucks. I can't remember why it was important now--possibly because it's one of those Brand names that has entered English to refer to a whole category. Icy mocha-cherry frappacino = Starbucks. At the end of the day, I guess it's really too much (US) TV.

Love you lots.
L

Erin said...

Dave, I miss you millions. take care x.

Guten tag back at you Larissa. So excited for your upcoming trip. Starbucks was definitely a conditioned visit - way too much TV influence. The pic was from my mate Jo's 80s party. I so would've been cool then!